Do It! Marketing
77 Instant-Action Ideas to Boost Sales, Maximize Profits, and Crush Your Competition
Author: David Newman
Pub Date: June 2013
Print Edition: $19.95
Print ISBN: 9780814432860
Page Count: 288
e-Book ISBN: 9780814432877
Buy the book:
Doing Your Best Is Not Enough
I meet a lot of small business owners and professionals who are "doing their best."
They are working hard. Making contacts. Networking. Filling their pipeline. Collecting business cards. Phoning people. Meeting people.
And it's just not working.
Their thriving, profitable business is a highly elusive figment of their imagination, fueled by inordinate amounts of credit card debt, their retirement savings, or a spousal trust fund.
More often than not, these folks throw in the towel after a few years.
No surprise that the small business death rate is a whopping 80 percent by the time businesses are five years old.
Donald Trump said it best: "It's not about winning or losing; It's about winning."
Here are the top 10 reasons for entrepreneurial failure, in my experience:
1. Delivering a great product or service but being terrible at marketing and sales
2. Not getting the right kind of marketing or sales help in time or at all!
3. Not delegating or hiring part-time help to take care of the intelligent grunt work?
4. Not having a business plan/goal/vision/destination in mind, including the failure to plan for failure!
5. No differentiation trying to market me-too, "Same-O Lame-O" boring stuff
6. Not taking themselves seriously (indicated by homemade business cards, freebie website, trying to cut every corner, etc.)
7. Overinvesting in these same things:˜ fancy business cards, a $25,000 website, overly expensive and overly broad advertising and thinking that's enough
8. A lack of expertise and thought leadership in their marketing focus trying to be all things to all people
9. Failure to develop alliances (Don't think you can do it all yourself. Hire the right people to get the job done, outsource, or partner.)
10. Underestimating the time and money it takes to grow your business successfully. (Remember, not all things are going to work the first time. Or the tenth. Plan for experimentation, testing, and thousands of small adjustments along the way.)
Nobody likes to throw in the towel.
But don't kid yourself by saying, "I did my best."
The real question is, "Did you do what had to be done?"
This book is for those who want to do what has to be done. It's not a book for dummies because you are not a dummy. It's a book for smart people, but people looking for guidance, tips, and strategies, for insight, frameworks, and basic rules for success for people like YOU.
Ready? Here we go . . .
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org